Frequently Asked Questions
I am looking for Imdur (Monopark, Monoket, Ismo). Do you carry it?
Yes, look for Isosorbide Mononitrate.
Isosorbide mononitrate (Imdur, Monopark, Monoket) is used to prevent or treat angina (chest pain). Isosorbide tablets may be used with other drugs to treat congestive heart failure. They work by relaxing the blood vessels to the heart, so the blood and oxygen supply to the heart is increased.
Isosorbide mononitrate can cause low blood pressure (hypotension). Other medications, which can reduce blood pressure, may produce additive effects causing serious drops in blood pressure.
Isosorbide mononitrate belongs to a class of drugs called nitrates. Make sure you discuss with your health professional if you are taking nitrates and:
- might be pregnant
- are taking certain antidepressants
- are taking certain antipsychotics
- are taking quinidine, procainamide, benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium) or opiates (e.g. morphine).
- are taking antihypertensives (high blood pressure medicine)
- are taking Sildenafil Citrate (Viagra), Tadalafil (Cialis), or Vardenafil (Levitra)
If you do not find the medication you are looking for in our database, contact us to let us know what you need. We will source it from one of our suppliers and let you know the availability and price of your medication.
- isosorbide mononitrate, Imdur, Ismo, Monoket (MedicineNet.com)
- Angina pectoris (angina) or "heart pain" is due to an inadequate flow of blood (and oxygen) to the muscle of the heart. Nitrates, including isosorbide mononitrate, correct the imbalance between the flow of blood and oxygen to the heart and the work that the heart must do by dilating the arteries and veins in the body. Dilation of the veins reduces the amount of blood that returns to the heart that must be pumped. Dilation of the arteries lowers the pressure in the arteries against which the heart must pump. As a consequence of both effects, the heart works less and requires less blood and oxygen.
- Nitrates (texasheart.org)
- Nitrates are a vasodilator. Vasodilators widen (dilate) the blood vessels, improving blood flow and allowing more oxygen-rich blood to reach the heart muscle. Nitrates also relax the veins. If less blood is returning to the heart from the arms and legs, it eases the workload on the heart.
- isosorbide mononitrate (Dartmouth.edu)
- Do not use isosorbide mononitrate if you are taking sildenafil (Viagra, Revatio). Serious, life-threatening side effects can occur if you take isosorbide mononitrate while you are using sildenafil.